Note: This is not part of my Seminar in Modern American Drama; rather, this page affords a place to park my notes and materials for my guest lectures.
American Culture & Civilization: Schooling America
Tuesday, March 21
Students are to have read David Ives’ short play Sure Thing that is included in All in the Timing.
Remind students that class location/time for 28 March is Kisch, 16:00-18:00. Readings will be in the Dropbox folder, as usual.
Freewrite: Topic for Final Paper
Respond to the following prompt [to be collected]: At this point in the semester, what topic interests you for the final paper? Why?
Discussion: Sure Thing as a Literary Text
- comprehension of the play itself
- overarching themes & specific ideas conveyed about American culture
- how structure of drama conveys those themes and ideas
- comparison with similar concepts in Romanian culture
Discussion: Gender in the U.S. and Romania
- overarching themes & specific ideas conveyed about gender in the US by play
- comparison with Romanian gender expectations
- gendered expectations/roles/experiences in public schools and university
Article on Double Standards and Sexism